Welcome to the Pelican Playhouse!
The building was originally opened in 1946 by Sir Earle Page as a "Young Men's Club". It then became the home of the South Grafton R.S.L. Club until they relocated to their current address in Wharf Street, South Grafton.
In 1961 the building was purchased by The Pelican Players, a well established amateur theatre group founded by Patricia Scales. An ideal small theatre with tiered seating for 96 people, beautiful acoustics, a comprehensive PA and a basic 3-phase lighting system as well as a large performance space.
The Pelican Players changed their name to the Grafton Theatre Company in 1987. By 1998 an extension was added to the western side of the building to provide a tea room on the ground floor and dressing rooms on the upper level.
The tea room received a makeover in 2014 and was transformed into the funky, licensed Pelican Lounge.
At the AGM in Sept 2015 a name change was proposed and voted on unanimously. As of Oct 26, 2015 the theatre company is now officially THE PELICAN PLAYHOUSE INC.
There are big plans to refurbish the front of the building and bring back some of its architectural charm while giving the 'old gal' a fresh coat of paint. Watch this space!
Find us on FACEBOOK!